Safety huddles have been used for many years in large industries particularly the mining and petrochemical industries and have statistically proven to reduce accidents. Even small business can benefit from adopting the habit of convening short safety meetings.
Safety huddles are weekly safety meetings involving all personnel discussing a specific safety topic. A huddle should last for about 15 minutes and can incorporate multimedia presentations. Overly long huddles will only tire and bore the participants, particularly the larger groups.
It’s usual that a supervisor convenes the meeting and selected personnel take their turn in delivering a safety message or topic.
The ideal size for a safety gathering is 6 to 10 as this number of people allows each member to participate and to freely put forward their own ideas for discussion.
Larger groups up to about 80 personnel can be used, but individuals will be less likely to play a part and offer their own ideas or views.
Hold the meetings in a place with plenty of 안전놀이터 room for everyone, as free of distractions as possible.
All mobile devices should be switched off for the short duration of the huddle.
Ensure everyone is be able to clearly see, hear and participate in the meeting
Many companies hold safety huddles as there are a range of benefits:
- They provide a platform for communication on safety and production in which all employees participate.
- They are a great way to conduct training on safety or production topics.
- Good safety meetings enhance the authority and competency of team leaders, supervisors and managers.
- Safety gatherings give managers and supervisors a meaningful opportunity for addressing and developing their team. Participating team members benefit from having their say.
Safety huddles can be held to discuss the following:
- The possible hazards of a project or section of work that is about to commence.
- A recent accident or near miss. Discuss and develop strategies to avoid further occurrences.
- Safety rules and procedures that will help prevent accidents.
- Problems concerned with off the job safety such as electrical safety, storm safety, travel safety etc.
The safety huddle convener should:
- Make a clear announcement of the time, place and reason for the huddle.
- Start the meeting on time.
- Quickly review any outstanding issues with the previous weeks huddle.
- Ensure the safety huddle discussion stays on the subject matter.
- If in discussions future huddle topics arise then take note and arrange a huddle on that topic at a later date.
- Allow time for discussion and questions.